Blue Skies Ahead! 7 reasons you need to plan a 2023 getaway to Southampton
Updated: Jun 6
Blue skies ahead - so get ready for a getaway full of charm and adventure in the magical Southampton! With its languorous stretches of beach, miles of bike trails, Victorian architecture, fine dining, top drawer shopping and wonderful galleries and shops, you’ll know you’re not in the city anymore.
Spend your days exploring by bike (you’re welcome to borrow ours or bring your own - we have a secure lock up), shopping at any of our many independent retailers or plan time at the beach to soak up some sun. With its laid back atmosphere and endless activities, Southampton is the perfect destination for a quick get-away.
Book your stay at 173 High Street today and experience the best of what the Saugeen Bruce Peninsula has to offer!
To make your visit even more enjoyable, we’ll be sharing some of our absolute must-know’s for your next visit. A stay in Southampton has something for everyone, so make sure to check out the first instalment in our Live Like a Local Guide below.
LIVE LIKE A LOCAL
From exploring its quaint streets to sampling local fare, a getaway in Southampton has something for everyone! Situated on the shores of Lake Huron at the base of the Saugeen Bruce Peninsula, Southampton exudes small town charm that’s hard to resist. “South” has plenty of personality and undeniably, lots of activities to keep you entertained. From exploring the beach or walking our streets lined with marvellous victorian architecture, to savouring the delicious local cuisine, Southampton offers a wealth of experiences that will tantalise all senses. So whether you’re a history lover, a nature adventurer, or a foodie, it’s time to pack your bags, leave all your worries behind and explore some of our hidden gems.
1. Southampton walking tour - victorian residential architecture from grand houses to quaint cottages. There's no shortage of really lovely homes, cottages and gardens to see while strolling the streets of Southampton.
2. Offshore Bakery - have a Bruce Potato. Yes, it’s a thing (and it’s not a potato!), think large choux pastry filled with custard and dusted with sugar. Definitely worth the lineup which actually moves through quite quickly.
3. Fairy Lake - count the turtles sunbathing or look for the sculptures made from the downed ash trees as you stroll around the ‘little lake’
4. A cone from Fun Ice Cream (our favourite is Salty Caramel Truffle)
5. Harbour to Harbour bike ride 8 km (one way), along the shore and you can return the same way or ride uptown in Port Elgin and take the Rail Trail back to Southampton
6. Dinner at Room 797 - so many wonderful choices and they're all great but the fresh fish is always a favourite!
7. Drinks on the patio at Highview Food and Drink - aperol spritz?
Check back in June for the next instalment of our top things to do in Southampton!!
We are grateful to acknowledge the Traditional Territory of the Anishinabek Nation: The People of the Three Fires known as Ojibway, Odawa, and Pottawatomie Nations. And further, give thanks to the Chippewas of Saugeen and the Chippewas of Nawash, now known as the Saugeen Ojibway Nation, as the traditional keepers of this land.
#173highstreet #explorethebruce #brucegreysimcoe #RTO7 @muirgenphoto #southamptonon #saugeenshores #exploretheshores #lakehuron #cotttage #summerrental #summergetaway #sunsets #beach #brucepeninsula #boutiquehotel #luxuryinn #ecotourism #travelontario #sustainable2030 @173highstreet